A summer charcuterie board is a perfect addition to any outdoor gathering or warm-weather celebration (pool party anyone?!) It’s easy to put together and it’s a great way to showcase a variety of flavors, textures and colors. Here's how you can build a summer charcuterie board that will impress your guests. Hold on to your seat, this is NOT your average cheese board!
diary of a debutante
- A selection of cheeses (soft, hard, and blue)
- Cured meats (prosciutto, salami, etc.)
- Crackers, bread, or crostini
- Fresh summer fruit
This one is important as this distinguishes a regular charcuterie board from your unique summer board. Here are some popular summer fruits that can be used in a charcuterie board or served on their own:
- Berries: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
- Stone fruit: peaches, plums, nectarines, cherries
- Melons: watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew
- Grapes: green or red
- Apples: green apples, red apples
- Pears: Bartlett, Anjou, Bosc
- Dragon fruit
These fruits are typically in season during the summer months and are perfect for adding a pop of color and freshness to your charcuterie board or summer gatherings. Choose fruits that are ripe and in season for the best flavor and texture.
- Dried fruit (apricots, figs, etc.)
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc.)
- Honey or jam for spreading
- Edible flowers (optional)
- Choose a board: A wooden board or a large platter works well. Make sure it’s big enough to accommodate all your ingredients.
- Place the cheeses: Arrange the cheeses in a way that they’re easy to access. You can arrange them by type, color or texture. Leave space between each cheese to make it easier for guests to grab what they want.
- Add the cured meats: Roll or fold the cured meats and place them next to the cheeses.
- Add the crackers and bread: Place the crackers or bread in a basket or on a plate and place it next to the cheeses and meats.
- Add the fresh fruit: Arrange the fresh fruit in a way that’s aesthetically pleasing. You can create a fruit salad or place the fruit in a basket.
- Add the dried fruit: Place the dried fruit in a small bowl and place it on the board.
- Add the nuts: Place the nuts in a small bowl and place it on the board.
- Add the honey or jam: Place the honey or jam in a small dish and place it on the board.
- Add the edible flowers: If you’re using edible flowers, place them in small vases or sprinkle them on the board for a pop of color.
- Set the board on a table or countertop where guests can easily reach it.
- Provide serving utensils for the cheeses, honey, and jam.
- Encourage guests to try a variety of cheeses, meats, fruits, and crackers.
Building a summer charcuterie board is a fun and easy way to impress your guests. By following these simple steps, you’ll be able to create a beautiful and delicious charcuterie board that everyone will love. So, get creative, have fun, and enjoy your summer charcuterie board!